Brown Sugar Walnut Shortbread Bars
Recipe credit: The Seaside Baker
- 315g Mac's Shortbread Fingers
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Crush the biscuits in a food processor, or place in a freezer bag and crush with a rolling pin. The biscuits should be very fine crumbs.
- Grease a 8x8 square baking pan well.
- Add the shortbread crumbs to a bowl.
- Add the melted butter and stir it into the crumbs until everything is wet.
- Press the shortbread mixture into the pan in an even layer.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk brown sugar, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until smooth.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour onto shortbread base and spread evenly. Bake for 25 minutes, until the surface looks dry and the filling has set and risen slightly. Cool completely, then cut into small squares.